Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Messy Fun

Little Bee loves to immerse her little hands with paint during our painting sessions. Then she will smear her palms all over a drawing paper and revel in her handprints. She loves messy play of all kinds, and usually creates a chaotic environment if we leave her to her own devices during playtime - pen scribbles on her hands, playdoh all around, miniscule pieces of cut paper that she labels as "snow" all over the room.


Little Bee with monstrous purple hands, roar!!! 

Her attention span is still very short and I still find it challenging to conduct homelearning activities with her, compared to the more focused Big Bee. It is an uphill task trying to teach her to write and read through the conventional methods. However, she loves art and crafts as well as painting. My Bees have very polarised learning styles, but hey, that's life, isn't it? 


Recently, Little Bee had been scribbling on a whiteboard at home, and this was what she drew of her good friend, Olivia, together with some scribbled handwriting as messages to her friend, at the start of the holidays. I guess she probably missed her friends with no school during the holidays! 

As I subscribe strongly to Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences theory when designing our monthly homelearning curriculum, it was fairly evident that Little Bee leans more towards the spatial/visual, musical/rhythmic and interpersonal intelligences. Hence, I try to create activities appealing to these intelligences and learning styles of hers in order to facilitate learning that is more fun for her. 


She drew this over dinner by herself one night - "F" for Flower Fish


Learning numbers the messy and intimate way - right on her fingers! 

It had worked thus far, but at times, while looking at how busy Big Bee is with her academic work in primary school, I do wonder how Little Bee will adjust to a rigid primary school curriculum, where there is minimal visual and musical stimulation. I just hope to quickly build a strong foundation for her in these preschool years so that she will not need to adjust too harshly. 

3 comments:

Yellowgiraffe said...

She's drawing very well! Love her Flower Fish although I think it could be a Fighting Fish. :)

Fon said...

she is so cute. and the mischievous one of the two!?!

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

Yellowgiraffe: Thanks, friend :) Haha, I also think it looks like some kind of Fighting Fish!!!

Fon: YES, she is definitely the more mischievous one of the 2 - sometimes, she likes to disturb her jie jie till she is so irked! :)