Watching musicals is mesmerising. Seeing the actors sing and act 'live' on stage just reinforces how talented some artistes are. The Bees had learned to be as fascinated and captivated by musicals as Hubby and I are. We always look forward to new musicals in town, and never failed to make each outing a special occasion to celebrate talent, art and expression in life. It is such a pity that really good musicals are few and far between in Singapore. I dream of the day that I can bring the Bees to the West End or Broadway and indulge in incessant excellent musicals!
I had previously written about our experiences with The Lion King and Wicked. These 2 years, we had watched Annie The Musical, and more recently, Phantom of The Opera.
Annie The Musical, while really fun and entertaining, was a little disappointing in terms of sound quality from the lead child actress. Perhaps she had been singing for a full season in Singapore already. Perhaps she was having a sore throat, as what the Bees justified. But, nevertheless, the musical still engaged the Bees wholeheartedly with its touching storyline.
The highlight came after the show though. As we ambled out into the stunning vista of the Marina Bay, we saw a few of the child cast from Annie, with 3 Golden Retrievers (which were the dog featured in the musical). How thrilling! The girls walked up to them, and patted the retrievers, although they were a little shy to make much conversation with the gregarious cast.
2 weeks ago, we went to watch Phantom Of The Opera. This had always been one of my favourite musicals, and I love the themes of love, longing, desire, beauty, insecurity, and ambition. Some people told me that it might be a little profound for the Bees, and they did express a little confusion when the Phantom released Christine, even though she reluctantly promised she would be his. However, after a little explanation, they grasped the meaning of insecurity and hopeless love.
As always, I love its haunting tunes, the Phantom's feelings of futility and despair, as well as the gorgeous sets. It was a little spine-chilling for the Bees though. As Big Bee said, "The musical was very scary, but the storyline was very meaningful and thrilling. My favourite moment was when the chandelier moved to the stage because it looked so majestic!"
I am now awaiting the next great musical to hit town! Maybe we might end up watching Hairspray?



No comments:
Post a Comment